Interesting information about Izmir
About Izmir and the short history of Izmir
In this section, we have tried to provide information about Izmir and the short history of Izmir and interesting information for the applicants. Izmir is located in the southwest of Turkey and 450 km from Istanbul. With 4.28 million people, Izmir is the third largest city in Turkey after Istanbul and Ankara. Izmir province has a relatively hot and humid climate due to its geographical location and being located next to the Aegean Sea. Warm weather, beautiful beaches and many ancient monuments in this province have made this region welcome many tourists every year. The average daily temperature in the summer season is between 35 and 40 degrees, which gives tourists a good opportunity to sunbathe. In Izmir, it is rare to witness snowfall, so the probability of this happening is once every 20-30 years.
Thousands of books can be written about Izmir, but here we have written very briefly some things for you dear ones. The history of Izmir (Smyrna – Sarmonia) goes back to 3000 years BC. Therefore, there are many historical monuments from the time of Greeks, Romans, etc. in Izmir region. These works are better preserved than similar ones in other parts of Turkey. This city was founded by the Lelegs near today’s Bayraklı region. Izmir, which is referred to as the Queen of the Amazon, began to shine from 2000 to 1200 BC during the Hittites. After that, history has always been the focus of various nations and governments, including Achaemenids, Alexander the Great, Romans, Attila, Byzantium, Seljuks and Ottomans.
Short information about Izmir :
In this section, we have tried to provide short information about Izmir for people who intend to live or travel to Izmir:
- According to the last census in 2023, the population of Izmir is 4.486 million people.
- Izmir province has an area of 7340 square kilometers and includes 30 regions.
- It is the third largest city in Turkey.
- Refinery (Tüpraş) with a daily capacity of 40 thousand tons is located in Izmir, which is the largest refinery in Turkey.
- The Star complex with a daily capacity of 25,000 tons is the largest petrochemical complex in Turkey, located in Izmir.
- One of the most beautiful coastal and recreational cities in Turkey and even the world, named Cheshme, is located in Izmir province.
- In 2020, Izmir hosted 2 million and 150 thousand twists.
- Ege and 9 Eylül universities are located in Izmir.
Antiquities in Izmir
- According to legends, Amazonian women who were known as warriors lived in this area. (Amazon women are mentioned in the movie Wonder Woman)
- According to some traditions, the people of the cave were from Izmir, so there is a cave with this name in the suburbs of Izmir.
- One of the seven wonders called the Temple of Artemis is located in Izmir province.
- 3 of the 7 churches mentioned in the Bible are located in the city of Izmir.
- The extremely beautiful ancient city of Ephesus is located in the suburbs of Izmir and near Kuşadası. The city of Ephesus or Ephesus can be called as one of the largest sites of ancient architecture. Despite the large size of this city, not even 20% of this city has been taken out of the ground yet.
- St. Jean Church is one of the first and seven holy churches of Christians.
- According to another tradition, the last house of Hazrat Maryam was in this area. Jesus sent his mother to the present-day Izmir region due to the insecurity of Jerusalem. Hazrat Maryam lived in this region for many years and was buried in Panayır Mountain after her death. This area is the destination of many tourists from all over the world, among whom Christians also worship.